Need for Geluk International Foundation
Today, under the wise leadership and inspiring spiritual guidance of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Buddhism has attracted worldwide attention. Thus Geluk monasteries and Dharma centers have emerged and spread throughout the world. A need for a central Geluk organization is strongly felt in order to structure, coordinate and supervise the preservation and spread of the Geluk tradition under the authority of consecutive Gaden Tripas, the Supreme Throne Holders of the Geluk Tradition.
The Geluk International Foundation was founded as result of the aspirations and vision of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Gaden Tri Rinpoche and various important senior Geluk masters and leaders, in order to insure coordination, cooperation, management and organized continuity of the precious Geluk tradition as expounded by the great master Tsong-khapa in the late fourteenth and early fifteenth centuries.
The Geluk International Foundation aims to preserve and promote Buddhist heritage in general and the Geluk tradition in particular. The Foundation provides an umbrella for all Geluk monasteries and Dharma centers to work collectively for the preservation and promotion of the Geluk tradition. It enables the great masters of the tradition, its leaders, teachers and intellectuals, as well as Geluk Monasteries and Dharma Centers, to further promote the teachings of the Geluk tradition, particularly as we face the challenges ofchanging times, values and environment. Uniformity and the collective strength provided by the Foundationare essential to achieve common goals to advance the Geluk tradition.
Dawn of the Geluk International Foundation
The main objective of the Geluk International Foundation is to bring a uniform and collective approach to the standards of teaching, development and preservation of Buddhist doctrine to all the Geluk monasteries and Dharma centers throughout the world. The Geluk International Foundation is planning to offer affiliation to the Geluk monasteries and Dharma centers worldwide. Centers applying for affiliation under the Geluk International Foundation’s prescribed procedures, and wouldsubscribe to goals, objectives, values, rules and regulations of the Foundation.
The Vision of the Geluk International Foundation is to promote, propagate, develop, enrich and preserve the Geluk tradition established by the great master Tsongkhapa, under the wise leadership and inspiring spiritual guidance of His Holiness the Dalai Lama and consecutive Gaden Tripas. The Foundation seeks to unite and harmonize all Geluk monasteries and Dharma centers throughout the world under a single umbrella in order to improve and maintain coordination, cooperation, development, functioning and friendship.
Main areas of activities
The Geluk International Foundation will establish programs to promote its objectives. The programs will include the running of learning-centers such as schools, colleges and universities, science education centers, meditation courses, meditation centers, medical centers, hospitals and medical colleges. The Foundation will establish publications and engage in research and development in the fields of humanity, religious harmony, interfaith dialogue, relief activities, devotional activities, vocational training, environmental preservation and ecological care. Activities of the Foundation will be extended all over the world through the creation of administrative hubs in different continents and nations.
Works accomplished so far
- Construction of TrithogKhang (The Headquarters of the Geluk Tradition) has been completed. This project aims to further strengthen the administrative engagement of the high-powered committee of the Geluk Tradition, lead by Gaden Tri Rinpoche over the administration of Geluk Monasteries and improvement of efficiency.
- Important and timely revisions of the directives of monasteries of Geluk tradition has been done, published and circulated.
- GOLDEN KEY, A Clear Presentation Of Truth And False About Dholgyal Through Quotes And Reasoning, was recently published.
- Organize offerings for longevity to His Holiness the Dalai Lama with special rituals and prayers in Dharamsala in June 2015.
Ongoing projects and plans:
Rain Water Harvesting Project at Tri Thok-Khang Complex.
Ground Water Recharge Project at Tri Thok Khang Complex.
Series of Conference Project – Light of Wisdom.
Re-Foresting and Plantation Project.
- To spread the activities of the Geluk International Foundation to all continents and regions.
- To organize precious, rare and unprecedented teachings by His Holiness the Dalai Lama on various important texts written by the Great Master Tsongkhapa.
- To organize various special programs and events to mark and commemorate the 600th anniversary of Great Tsongkhapa, in 2019.
The Geluk International Foundation was formally registered under Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860 in Delhi on 24th March 2005, and given identity No. S-52167. Later the Foundation was registered under the Foreign Contributions Regulation Act, and has 12A and 80G status under the Income Tax Act, establishing the Foundation as anon-profittax-exempt charitable organization approved by the Government of India.